Friday 18 October 2013

Bible challenge day 19


My Bible challenge has inspired me to talk to people more often. As I said in my last blog, I believe that I am becoming more sympathetic to others, and wanting to chat to strangers is part of that. Previously I would never have spoken to anyone that I didn't know. Now I find myself talking to people on the bus and shop workers and mums at the school.

I believe that God has prompted me to speak to specific people a couple of times over the last week. I'm not sure why, as I haven't actually got round to mentioning the gospel yet, but I do feel that being more friendly is part of this process. I did tell a nice old lady the other day that I have some friends who are living in India for a while, but didn't get the chance to say why. Maybe I'll see her again, I don't know. It has been good practicing being more obedient to God though.

I forgot to take my Bible when I went out today, but I did have the chance to talk about my church to two people who previously didn't know that I was a Christian. It helps that our church is so involved in the community! If Gateway church was a Sunday club then that wouldn't be a good witness to non-Christians.

I am now reading 1 Corinthians and this passage jumped out at me:

1 Corinthians 22-25

Jews demanded miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling-block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom , and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

This passage makes me think of the intelligent people who disdain and mock Christianity because of thinking that God has to fit into human limitations (e.g. he has to have been born at some point or he has to follow the rules of science.) I can see how some people would think that believing in God is crazy, but that's because they don't have the wisdom of God nor understand that God made the laws of science, maths, time etc.  
When you are saved, I believe that the Holy Spirit is given to you, and with that some of the wisdom of God. Of course we still have comparatively little understanding or wisdom of God, at least until we meet him in Heaven one day.  Having a good knowledge of the Bible helps as it's the word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment